Be On Target For Local SEO Ranking
Most of the businesses we work with at Opportunity Max rely heavily on local traffic for their leads. Given that, we’re sharing some great strategies that we use to increase local SEO ranking and traffic to websites. If businesses follow these tips they should see an increase in their local SEO traffic whether they work with us or manage their digital marketing in-house.
Focus on Directory and Business Listing Management
Creating and maintaining local business listings improves SEO, brand management and visibility.
- Create or claim accounts on Google+, Yahoo Local, Bing Local and Yelp. These create legitimate links to your website and give valuable information to potential customers. Having these listings updated and accurate also makes it easier for customers to find you.
- Directories have more weight than ever with local SEO. Research and find the directories that are appropriate for your industry, and make sure you are listed in them and that all of your information is up-to-date. If you’re in the automotive industry for instance, you’ll want to ensure your Edmunds, Cars.com, Autotrader and DealerRater listings are up to date.
- Have a local address and phone number for the area you are targeting. Make sure to use the local address and phone number in the directories that are region specific. Be consistent and use the same phone number and address with all of the local listing sites.
Don’t Forget About Customer Reviews
Customer reviews have always been important. Did you know online reviews are also one of the primary ranking factors for local SEO?
- Have your sales people get involved in your review generation efforts. You can provide your sales staff with cards to share with customers telling them where they can leave a review or share feedback about their experience. If you have their email address, you can even send them an eblast as a follow-up and directly link to your review pages.
- Manage your reviews. Good or bad, if someone took the time to write a review, you owe them the respect to respond to it. Even negative reviews can be turned positive if you take a proactive approach and respond with a comment that is unique to the situation. Be sure to give the unhappy customer an action they can take to help resolve the issue.
- Place good reviews on your website in a testimonial area or as a call out quote. This creates new content on your site and can be good for branding.
Make a Commitment to Community Involvement
Becoming involved in the community you serve is good for branding and building trust. Did you know that community involvement can also have a positive impact on online local ranking through link sharing and local press?
- Get involved in the local community. Join the Chamber of Commerce.
- Sponsor a charity event.
- Network or speak at local meetings and events.
Be Aware of Other Back End Considerations
In local SEO, and all SEO for that matter, the way that information is coded on a webpage is almost as important as the content itself.
- Each landing page URL should include the city and state name if possible. If this isn’t possible in the URL structure, be sure to include it somewhere within the page content.
- Make sure each landing page only has one H1 header. If possible, you can also include the city and state names in this place.
- Slow load time on landing pages can have a negative effect on local SEO. Be sure your website has a quick load time.
Improving your local SEO isn’t something that will happen overnight. But if you follow these tips, and keep up-to-date on changes as they develop, you can improve your rankings. To consistently improve or even maintain your local rankings it’s important to keep track of algorithm changes, do a lot of research, and be willing to constantly fiddle with your digital marketing strategy. Opportunity Max knows that there are a lot of things to take into consideration when managing your digital marketing strategy. Why not sign up for a free TechCheck analysis to find out where your digital presence is at today and how we can help you improve it?